Jim Thome
Thome was traded from the Philadelphia Phillies on Saturday for two minor leaguers -- right-hander Kyle Simon and catcher Gabriel Lino.
Thome, 41, is a five-time All-Star. His 609 homers are tied with Sammy Sosa for seventh place on the career list. His 1,689 RBIs over a 22-year career are 25th all-time.
Thome will move right into the designated hitter role with the Orioles, who have been a surprising contender in the American League East but have struggled offensively of late.
In 30 games for the Phillies, Thome hit .242 with five home runs and 15 RBIs. He missed more than a month because of a lower-back strain.
"I think the disappointing thing for me is that I wasn't able to play as much first base," he said.
Simon, 21, was 2-8 with a 3.96 ERA for Class A Frederick. Lino, 19, hit .218 with four homers and 18 RBIs for Class A Delmarva.
Nationals: Stephen Strasburg left his start in Atlanta after just three innings because of heat-related issues. According to the National Weather Service, Atlanta recorded its hottest-ever temperature Saturday at 106 degrees.
"I expected a lot more of myself, so by no means was I going out there thinking I wasn't prepared for it," said Strasburg, who had three intravenous treatments after leaving the game. "I thought I did everything I could to be ready for it as far as hydrating and everything. Just got to learn from it."
Nationals manager Davey Johnson noticed that Strasburg was breathing heavily when he got to the dugout after allowing three runs in the third.
"Pretty scary, and he wasn't talking too good," Johnson said. "I found out later he got a little dizzy out on the mound. The problem was that he was totally dehydrated."
Astros: First baseman Carlos Lee said he expects to decide by Sunday if he will accept a trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
After going 0 for 4 in a loss to the Chicago Cubs, Lee said he would talk to his wife about whether to accept the move.
"Probably tomorrow I'll let you know," Lee said. "Because I don't want to go through this. Either I'm going or I'm not."
Lee, 36, is in the final year of a six-year, $100 million contract with the Astros and has a limited no-trade clause.
Royals: Jonathan Sanchez continued to struggle, failing to make it out of the fifth inning in a loss to Minnesota. Sanchez (1-4) is 0-2 with a 6.21 ERA since coming off the disabled list June 13 after suffering a left-biceps injury. He walked six in 41/3 innings.
"It's a slump, you know?" said Sanchez, whom the Royals acquired from the Giants in the offseason for Melky Cabrera. "It's not working. I'm not doing anything that's working right now."
Cubs: Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, 20, has officially joined the Cubs, signing a nine-year, $30 million deal.
mercurynews